I've been spring cleaning all week, and for the first time in several years I'm able to spring clean the basement. I'm not sure I'll be getting the walls painted anytime soon, sad really because they really need it, but I've been down there organizing, sweeping, and de-webbing.
I've bought shelves for my fiber stash, which has really helped.
It doesn't look like it, but it is now organized. That's four full shelf units plus a half unit off to the side. Two and a half units are full of raw (unwashed) fiber. Five mohair, three llama, and ten full sheep fleeces. The rest is made up of fiber samples, mostly between 4-8 ounces each. The remaining units are fiber ready to card, comb, and or spin, and tools of the trade.
Over the weekend I get to go behind that curtain on the right and drag everything out of that room to clean and organize. Then I scrub all the floors and walls down.
But, before that, I get to have some fun.
My fleece from Raspberry Hollow Farm arrived yesterday and boy it's it beautiful. My ever helpful Kenshin agrees.
This weeks accomplishments include
Combing lots of Coopworth, spinning a little Cheviot, working on the fugly afghan (no it's still not done), and this morning I managed to wash 2 oz of llama, .8 oz of suri alpaca (I really wish I had more of this), 7 oz merino/targhee cross, 3 oz mohair, and a 2oz sample of Ava from the above picture.
When I jumped into spinning I didn't care about fiber weight loss when washed and combed. I also didn't keep samples of the different kinds of fiber. Now I'm keeping records and samples. That's what these little bits of fiber washing today are for.